Festember is one of the most expected and grand cultural fests around India. It was started in the year 1975 by The National Institute of Technology, Trichy (NITT) and has been happening every year since then. Almost 15000 students from 500 colleges around the country take part in this 4-day event. This usually happens in the third week of September every year. As the name suggests, this event is a ‘Fest to Remember’. It conducts a lot of competitions and events where the different colleges take part. The college with the most points wins the Festember Rolling trophy. Apart from that, many professional artists decorate the ceremony and perform live. The event has a theme every year. Festember’16 adorned the theme, ‘Cultural Syncretism’, a tribute to a world which is increasingly seeing boundaries dissolve in all spheres of life. Our mascot, Polo the Panda, seen in various Festember related posts, promises to make us ‘Bond Boundlessly’ which is also the tagline for this year. It happened between 22nd and 27th September.
Before the fest started, there was a short film festival at Chennai and the prelims of the Gigahertz event. Gigahertz is a rock band competition and the prelims happened at Bangalore and Chennai. The Festember Social Responsibility program conducted programs like Pages, a book collection drive and the Gold Dustbin initiative under which old papers, books, plastics and electronic wastes were collected. This year Festember also launched a green initiative called ‘Paperback’ to reuse waste CT papers in all its events, taking one step forward towards reduce, reuse and recycle.
* Inauguration of Festember by the Chief Guest Mr.T.Jayaseelan, President of Valve Operations, Sanmar Engineering Technologies.
* Guest lecture by Carpe diem, Dr.Soumya Srinivasan
* Vocalist Sindhu and Violonist Ambi Subramaniyam – Musical performance
* Variety of Events
* Informals – Oculus Rift, Wall Climbing ,Soap Soccer, Escape room, Frisbee, Gaming, Ice hockey, Dart football, Foosball and Slack lining for thrill seekers.
* Live Photography event by Pixelbug
* Sid Sriram’s lecture and performance
* Choreo night event – Eastern and Western performances
* Ghibran’s Talent hunt finale – the winner was given the chance to work with Ghibran
* Certificates were signed by Shankar Mahadevan
* Shrutilaya – Carnatic Music competition both instrumental and vocal
* Beat boxing, Hip hop, Kendo and mocktail making workshops
* Guest lecture by Suresh Triveni, the maker of Mauka ad series
* Finals of Gigahertz series.
* Improvathon – acting ability competition
* Rock night – by Guns N’ Hoses from New York
* Guest Lecture – Mahesh Dattani, play writer of the English play, ‘Where there is a will’
* Raia, singer, songwriter and programmer thrilled the audience by coding her music live using raspberry pi. Also performing on the stage are Ayog-a vedic metal band from Nagpur, Thrill Veera, an entertainer and a stage performer known for his fire dance, wheel dance and juggling and Kate BlackRegan a performing artist based in Bangalore.
Beginning with the finals of Acoustics which is the instrumental showdown and Acapella, the non instrumental music, Tarangini, the Eastern music, the Festember was a huge success which entertained the group thoroughly leaving them with great memories until next year.